Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Provoking Opportunity


I saw Michael Moore's new movie, Capitalism: A Love Story," and it got me thinking. This movie, like all of his movies, is one that definitely has a perspective, and some may not agree with it, but I like when a movie gets me to think, whether I agree with the movie's perspective or not.

The issues in the movie were those of the economic system in the USA, the disparity between the wealthy and the poor, and the escalation of political unrest. All big issues, and they're issues that impact us daily. When I think about them, I feel a sense of urgency coupled with frustration. It's difficult know what to do about them, that's where the frustration comes in, and so I usually leave those issues in the "thought for later" drawer of my mind. Until talking with the few friends who actually think about these things, or reading a book on the subject, or when I notice that it's getting tougher every day to make a living in this land of opportunity.
These thoughts were brought to my mind again watching Moore's movie. In some form or other, he questions the big issues of our economic system. Perhaps not fully, and perhaps in an exaggerated fashion at times, (it is after all a movie), but Moore puts forth a strong argument against capitalism in a thought provoking work. He says that what we need, what was the original intention of this country, is democracy. I vote for that.
I give it four out of five garlics.



1 comment:

Mary said...

This man is so far out it's sad, that he has such an attitude against our Nation.